PRE-CONFERENCE PROGRAMS + PRESENTERS:
– “Martha Thompson Dolls” – Diana Lence Crosby
– “NIADA Early Years” – UFDC and Diana Lence Crosby
– “Martha Armstrong-Hand” – CA Scenic Coast Doll Club
– “NIADA Art Dolls: Rich Traditions, New Ideas” – About NIADA
CONFERENCE PROGRAMS + PRESENTERS:
– “Digital Cutting” – Catherine Mather
– “The Art of Bill Nelson” – Chris Chomick
– “Remembering Dianna Effner” – Juanita Zientara
– “About the NIADA Academy” – Connie Smith
– “My Life in Stitches” – Jo-Ellen Trilling
– “Frida Kahlo – Her Style of Dress” – Leslie O’Leary
– “Making Strong Paperclay Hands” – Luella Mossom
– “NIADA Artist Floyd Bell” – Mary Ellen Frank
– “3D Design and Doll Making” – Robert Tonner
– “Voices from the Past” – Tatiana Baeva
– “Photographing Your Dolls” – Dean Walters
– “Design Fundamentals for Doll Artists” – Tanya Marriott
– Visiting Artist “10 x 12” program – Shelley Thornton
Special Presentation by Guest Speaker
– History of Black Dolls – Spotlight on I. Roberta Bell, NIADA – Barbara Whiteman
Barbara A. Whiteman is the founder and executive director of the Philadelphia Doll Museum, one of the earliest museums in America devoted exclusively to the collection and preservation of black dolls as artifacts of history. The museum holds more than 500 historically significant black dolls.
Ms. Whiteman is also the co-founder of the annual International Black Doll Convention, a member of the United Federation of Doll Clubs, and the Association of African American Museums. She has collected for more than twenty years, and has lectured nationwide on the history of black dolls to many cultural and civil organizations, schools, colleges, and art institutions.
Authored by Nayda Rondon, Ms. Whiteman wrote the Introduction to “Black Dolls: Proud, Bold & Beautiful” which she presented a social-historical context of dolls from the black diaspora.
Ms. Whiteman is a graduate of Temple University, in Philadelphia. PA with a BS in Biology and Secondary Education. She is retired from the Philadelphia Veterans Administration Hospital where she worked as a Nuclear Medicine Technologist. She is a member of Zion Baptist Church and a Trustee at the Baptist Women’s Center in Philadelphia.
NIADA ARTISTS VIDEOS: (Recorded)
“Artists in a Different Light”
– Beyond Dollmaking: NIADA Artists share another aspect of themselves.
“Favorite Tools” and “Techniques”
– NIADA Artists share their favorite tools and/or techniques.
ART SPEAKS: Artists Voices
– NIADA Artists panels answer interview questions
NIADA PATRONS & ASSOCIATES: (Recorded)
ART SPEAKS: Patron & Associates Voices
– Patrons & Associates answer interview questions
ART SPEAKS: Patron Collections
– Patrons & Associates share their collections